So, let’s start from the very beginning by talking about writing itself. Of course, it’s after you’re a writer that you get to ask what are the best writing tools you can use.
Well, yes, it is.
If you ask a wannabe writer why they don’t write, they may say it’s because they don’t have a degree.
“If only I had a degree, I’ll write,” they’ll lament.
If you ask someone with a degree to write, they will say they will write if there are talents.
Now, ask someone with talent and a degree, and many people do, why they don’t write. Ask them and watch as they run out of excuses on why they don’t write. They will say if only, if only, and they don’t have anything else to say.
Gone are the days when writing is a venture exclusive to journalists, novelists, or people who hold a degree in English and Creative Writing. If I may shock you, this writer didn’t study the English language. I am nowhere near the Arts and Humanities in the discipline as someone professionally trained as an Electrical and Electronics Engineer in College.
Yet, I find writing a worthwhile pass time that I have developed over ten years of active writing. Ideally, with those long years of experience as a writer, I must have used all sorts of writing tools that have helped me publish two books, win four essay writing awards, and create hundreds of online content and courses for self and clients alike.
Hence, this has afforded me the credence to share with you some of the best writing tools that I have either personally used or that I have personally reviewed and that I can confidently throw my weight behind.
In that case, let’s cut right to the chase, shall we?!
What is a Writing Tool?
A writing tool is a device, software, or hardware that you use to write, making your writing more comfortable and better.
This tool usually has a writing interface and a myriad of unique features that enhance your content writing by offering you grammatical suggestions, auto-corrections, synonyms suggestions, etc.
In this article, you’ll read about some of the widely popular writing apps and the best of the best writing tools that the internet has to offer. You’ll learn about their features, overview, price, and platforms. Everything will be laid bare for you, and ultimately, it will be up to you to decide on which one to choose.
Why is a Writing Tool Important?
In a world where there are close to 2 billion websites online and a good chunk of that number competing to get people’s attention, you cannot afford to write your content poorly. No one likes to read an article full of grammatical inconsistencies or read an article padded with misspellings.
In a survey conducted by Search Laboratory seeking to know, from test subjects who partook in the survey, how important good grammar, correct spelling, and correct layouts are to online contents’ success. Their responses, as you may have guessed, were outstandingly in support.
A staggering 79% of the people voted for the answer and said yes that those factors were important.
Moving forward, the overall important reason for choosing your writing tool must be to make writing convenient for you and improve your writings. Not all the writing tools are compatible with all devices and platforms. Hence, I have done the heavy lifting for you as I share some of the best writing tools and writing Apps for different devices like iPhone, iPad, Windows, and Mac.
What Are the Best Writing Tools?
So, without further ado, here is the list of seven of the best writing tools in no particular order:
- Google Docs
Reedsy is useful for editing books before publishing it. Hence it is somewhat peculiar to authors, especially novice authors.
This app is useful for people who are new to writing, as mentioned. It makes self-publishing a piece of cake since the hard part of editing the whole manuscript will be taken care of by this App.
Essentially, it saves you two important resources: time and money.
It saves you the time needed to edit, and it saves you the money to hire a professional editor as it does both for you effortlessly.
It is interesting to note that despite being free, this app offers cool features that even a few of its paid counterparts provide.
It has beautiful styling functionality that makes your book a sight to behold. You don’t have to do anything again but upload it to Amazon or any other online eBook platform.
All you need do, afterward, is sit back and sip coffee as you collect the royalties from those platforms when people start buying the eBook you upload.
- Cool User Interface
- Easy formatting and easy typesetting
- Drag and drop functionalities
- It helps you track any new changes made to compare with the last versions of your book.
- Easy exporting to online eBook platforms
- Collaborative editing
- Import options from your drives or computer
Finally, Reedsy is hands down one of the best Writing tools to be used if you’re a heavy writer, that is, if you do a lot of content writing, or if you’re an author who writes large word counts books. Go for it.
Platform: Mac, iOS, Windows, Android
Website: Begin writing your book on Reedsy
Squibler is also a useful writing tool for people looking to write compelling books with mouthwatering prose.
It is a powerful writing tool made to serve writers, especially story-tellers and creative writers.
It’s a productive writing tool used to write quite a big word count in a short period.
It has many cool features like Note Card, which allows you to split your screen and work simultaneously without one affecting the other.
This writing tool makes the writing process relatively easier than expected. It has a text editor that easily conforms to your usage.
- It provides different templates for different writing genres. E.g., General Novel, General Screenplay, Mystery, Fantasy, and so on.
- Organizes Faster: It allows you to add, drag, and drop each segment of your writing to another segment and helps you manage it in record time.
- It makes Note-taking easy: This writing tool allows you to take note during a lecture or conference with its built-in Smart Note Taking functionality.
- Grammar checker: It provides functionality to check for grammar errors as you write automatically. It’s unlike anything you’ve seen before.
- Possesses Outlines: It allows you to organize your writing by providing you with different outlines quickly.
Price: 14 Days Free Trial then billed $9.99/month
Platform: Windows, iPad, iPhone, Mac
Website: Get started here.
Grammarly is the most popular of the best writing tools out there. Many professionals use Grammarly. It ensures everything you type across all Apps are easy to read, correct, and error‑free.
- It works across boards: Grammarly has built-in functionality that makes it works on all your typing areas across all your apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, even in sending a Text message or sending an email.
- Scanning function: Grammarly will scan your writing for grammatical errors automatically. It checks for the simple ones like a misused comma, and it also scans for advanced ones like a misplaced adjective or expletive usage. It offers you the freedom to write confidently.
- Helps you improve in English: This tool does not just highlight where there are possible errors. It takes it a little further by explaining what makes such an error. It helps you to avoid making the same mistakes repeatedly.
- Helping you achieve greatness: If you’re a good writer, this writing tool allows you to become better.
Price: It costs $29.95 per month, $59.95 per quarter, and $139.95 per year. It offers discounts now and then.
Platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Website: Get started with Grammarly here.
This writing tool is a reliable word processing software for teammates.
It allows you to create and edit your writing online right there in your browser without having to download anything. It’s a reliable writing tool used by many in the world.
One of the key features that many people like about it is the ability for multiple users to work on a single document. At the same time, this writing tool saves every new change made automatically.
- It has real-time editing, chat, and comment functionality: As you work in this tool, you can have real-time feedback on your writing via live chat that has been built with the tool.
- Export options in all formats: this tool offers you the ability to export your writings in different unique options like PDF, TXT, DOC, etc.
- Limitless revision history: when using this tool, it automatically saves your past edits keeping the time of edits and all intact. New changes to the document do not affect this history.
- Works online or offline across all devices: as you do with this writing tool, you can save your draft from being accessed offline anytime any day. You can create a new document, edit it, and even share it under this function.
- Exclusive control to sharing button: As the owner of the document, you can choose if you want to share it with other people or not. You can simply switch on the link-sharing or otherwise, and no one can access the document anymore.
Platform: Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android
Website: Get started with Google doc now.
This tool helps you jot down ideas and allows you to find them when you’re ready to get back to it.
- Adding any media to your document allows you to add any media or resources you desire, like PDF, picture, video, etc.
- Search interface: this tool has an interface that allows a user to search for any part of the tool or its documents.
- Rich notes: it gives you the ability to express your idea, take pictures, record audio or video during an event, and so on.
- Ability to scan documents: It allows you to save paper documents by giving you the option to scan and save your documents across all your devices.
- Integrate across multiple platforms: Evernote can work with most or all Apps that you already use. So it gets more comfortable when you sign up for it and begin using it. It can integrate with all the productivity tools you already use on your device. So, things will become easier for you. Won’t they?
Price: Basic is free. Premium is $7.99/month, and collaboration within the company costs $14.99/user/month.
Platforms: Windows, iOS, Android
Website: Get started on Evernote here.
Scrivener allows you to bring all your research works into a single place instead of hovering between devices and folders.
It helps you as a writer in ways unimaginable.
- It’s suitable and appropriate for any kind of writing you have in mind.
- It helps you customize your documents to suit your taste.
- It helps you from the time you write the first word until you finish your writing and hit publish.
- It is cost-effective but not free.
Price: 30 days trial version then $40.84 one time payment.
Platform: Windows, Mac, iOS
Website: You can get scrivener here.
Ulysses helps you write better all the time, anywhere you are.
- Cool Focus: It has countless numbers of focus that make the tool a cynosure of all writers. For instance, it has a modern distraction-free interface. It also has a themeable editor.
- It can be accessed via voice-over.
- It can work with more than ten languages.
- Siri shortcuts: with a single voice command, Siri can access any part of the tool.
- It possesses keyboard navigation.
- It has easy text navigation.
- It has a unified library where you can access all your files in a few taps.
Price: Free 30 days trial then paid
Platform: Windows, Mac, iOS
Website: Get started here.
In conclusion, our world has grown. We have experienced a lot of changes in the way we live since the Industrial Revolution in 1760. Our lives have gotten easier due to tools, apps, and software that assist us in carrying out important tasks daily.
We have come a long way from the time of our forefathers who write on leaves and cave walls to this generation, providing and using these best writing tools and software.
As a writer, there are a lot of things for you to write on. Try any of the above writing tools and start writing today. None of these tools will run themselves if you don’t act. Will they? Ultimately, the choice is totally up to you.
Don’t forget to check out Group Leads if you want to automate the lead generation process from your Facebook group.