Facebook tagging is a feature that allows users to tag or mention other users in photos, posts, and comments on the platform. When someone is tagged, they receive a notification, and the post or photo is added to their timeline. It is also possible to tag pages or groups in posts or comments.
This feature is designed to help users share and connect with others on the platform. It allows users to share content and bring attention to other users or pages on the platform. For example, users can tag businesses in posts and photos to show their location.
You can use tagging in photos to identify the people in the picture. Though someone doesn’t need to be in a picture before you tag them, you can also tag them to acknowledge them.
In a Facebook group, alerting all members at once is now made possible with the @everyone tag feature. The admin can now tag all group members simultaneously using the @everyone tag. It is a quick way to notify members of an important post. Members are notified individually, which makes them curious to see the post they are tagged in.
The @everyone tag is a new feature added by Facebook in August 2022. This feature enables you to tag everyone in your group only once daily. With this, group admins or marketers now have a powerful tool to reach all their group members simultaneously.
This feature also ensures that many people collectively receive notifications of important messages regardless of their notification settings. However, it should be used with caution to avoid spamming or disruption. In this article, you will learn how to use the “@everyone” tag feature successfully.
Purpose of Using the @everyone Tag on Facebook
There should be a relevant reason for using the @everyone tag feature. Your purpose for using this feature might be different from someone else. Some of the general purposes of using the @everyone tag are as follows.
To Make an Important Announcement
The @everyone tag feature is used to make a significant announcement that impacts everyone. As an admin, your aim in using this feature should be to ensure that your group members’ attention is geared toward an announcement that is beneficial and important to them.
For example, the @everyone tag can be used to inform your group members about the closure of the group, to inform or remind them of important events, or to update them about some of the changes that have taken place in the group (such as changes in the rules and regulations of the group or changes in group administrators).
To Improve Engagement
Tagging every group member encourages them to participate in group discussions, activities, or challenges. Using the @eveyone tag for posts notifies all your group members and encourages them to respond or engage with the posts. The video, photos, events, or marketplace items you post with the @everyone tag get more members’ attention and engagement than those you post without the tag.
To Increase Visibility
It can be very challenging to ensure that all members see relevant posts. Using the @everyone tag in posts makes them more easily accessible. The visibility of comments, photos, videos, or marketplace items you post increases with this great feature.
All group members get to see the posts they are tagged in since the posts will appear on their timelines. These posts have the potential to reach a wider audience.
To Boost Reach
Tagging each of your group members in photos, videos, or stories can help boost the reach of your content. Because when members are tagged, the post, videos, or stories they are tagged in will be shown to their friends and families on Facebook if the post is made public.
For Greater Connectivity
You can use the @everyone tag to connect with your group members and strengthen your relationship with them. As an administrator, you can share your concerns, ideas, or businesses with group members to build trust and bonds with them.
To Better Target Potential Customers
This tagging feature is a powerful tool for businesses as it allows you to target all members, with some having the potential to become loyal customers. When members are tagged in your marketing messages, they will all be informed of your products or services, most of which will likely develop interest and eventually make a conversion.
For Easy Organization
It is easier to organize photos and videos when you tag members in them. It also makes it easier to find and recall memories.
Ways to Avoid Being Tagged by Just Anyone
The @everyone tag can be disruptive when used without caution. Some people tend to use this feature for unnecessary purposes. You may find this annoying as a member. If you want to avoid this unnecessary disturbance, follow the steps below to disable the @everyone tag.
1. First, start with your privacy settings on your Facebook account. Click on your profile photo in the top right-hand corner to find the menu, and select the Settings & Privacy icon.
2. Select Settings on the next screen.
3. Follow this step if you are using the mobile app. Ignore if you are working on a desktop or laptop computer. Select Profile Settings next to your profile photo with the word “For” followed by your name.
4. Select Notification Settings, where you can decide what notifications you receive.
5. After selecting the notification settings, the “Tag” options will appear on the next screen. You can tap or click on it.
6. You will now see the “get notification when you are tagged by” on the screen. Here, you have three options: anyone, friends of friends, and friends. The default setting is anyone. Change the settings from anyone to either “friends of friends” or just “friends,” based on your preference.
7. After that, Facebook will display settings that read “Receive notifications for.” Among the options under it is “Batch @everyone mentions.” Click on the switch to toggle to the off position.
With all these done, you will stop receiving notifications when someone uses the @everyone tag in a group. You can go back to the previous step to toggle the switch to the on position if you want to start receiving notifications again.
How to Make Facebook Ask for Your Permission Before a Post You Are Tagged in Appears on Your Timeline
If You Are Using Facebook on a Desktop Browser
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Click on your profile picture avatar at the right side of the menu bar near the top of the Facebook window.
3. Click on Settings & Privacy, and click on Settings after that.
4. Click on Privacy on the left-hand pane.
5. Click on Profile and Tagging.
6. In the Tagging section, next to “Who can see posts you are tagged in on your profile?” Click Edit to select “only me” from the drop-down list.
7. Click Close when you are done editing.
8. In the Reviewing section, next to “Review posts you’re tagged in before the post appears on your profile?” Click Edit to select “Enabled” from the drop-down list. This allows you to review posts you are tagged in before appearing on your timeline.
If You Are Using a Facebook App on a Mobile Device
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Tap your small profile avatar photo with the three lines superimposed on it at the corner of the screen.
3. Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy. Then tap Settings.
4. Type the word “Tagging” in the search settings at the top of the screen. Then tap Profile and Tagging.
5. Change the settings to “Only me” in the Tagging section.
6. Change all the settings to “On” in the Reviewing section. After doing this, you can review all tagging requests and decide whether you want to approve them or deny them.
If you approve them, the post you are tagged in will appear on your timeline. But if you deny them, the post will not appear on your timeline. With this, you can control which tagged post you want to appear on your timeline.
How to Tag Everyone in a Facebook Group Using @everyone
Being a group admin gives you an upper hand when using the @everyone tag. Note that you can only use the @everyone feature for posts made since its release. You can’t use it for old posts.
Tagging all group members with @everyone is straightforward enough. You have to either make a post and type @everyone in that post or make a post and tag @everyone in the comments section.
The Consequences of Overusing the @everyone Tag
Overusing the @everyone tag could hurt your group or brand. When you overuse this feature in your group, your group members could immediately get annoyed and leave the group. Most people aren’t fond of being tagged frequently, especially when they think they are tagged in something of no benefit to them.
Unnecessary bugging of your group members could be distracting and frustrating to them. Some may be doing something important on their phone when you start bugging them with notifications, which can be very annoying.
Members tend to lose trust in your leadership when this happens. It can damage your brand image and affect your relationship with your members or followers.
Keeping members engaged is very important, but inconveniencing them is not a good way to achieve that. They will instead lose interest and get discouraged than be engaged.
As a group admin, you should also consider the perspective and comfortability of your members. Don’t give them the impression that you are only interested in promoting your content. Use the feature in a win-win situation (the content you are using the feature for should favor both you and your group members).
How to Avoid Annoying Members With the @everyone Tag
Below are the things you should do to avoid annoying your group members with the tagging:
1. Introduce the New Tagging Feature to Your Group Members
Not all members are accustomed to the way Facebook groups work. Some don’t know about specific features and how they can benefit from them. It is your duty as a group admin to make sure all group members are familiar with these features before using them in the group.
Make sure you explain to members what the @everyone tag means, and let them know how they will benefit from it. From this, members can see the feature in a more positive light.
It would be ideal if you informed members that they could be tagged with this feature when joining the group, how it works, and how often you will be using it (give them a relevant reason why you will use it). Doing this will make the members more aware and acquainted with it, and the notifications won’t come to them unexpectedly.
2. Give the Members What They Joined for
It would help if you had a specific purpose for creating your group. Members join your group majorly because of what it is created for. Make sure your content is aligned with your group’s purpose.
If you want members to remain engaged with your group, the content you should tag them in should stay relevant to why they joined your group. You can drive sales or win clients by giving members great content and fulfilling your original promise.
Be mindful while crafting your content strategy to avoid deviating from your original purpose.
3. Don’t Use the @everyone Tag Only to Enhance Your Marketing
Using this tagging feature just for the benefit of your brand implies that you are only thinking about yourself. Let members know you also have them in mind. Use the @everyone feature to enhance the user experience too.
You can create a better user experience with this feature. You can make a well-planned approach and open lines of communication with your members.
4. Use the @everyone Tag Sparingly
Monitor the use of this feature and only use it sparingly. Just because you can tag everyone in your group daily doesn’t mean you should. Ensure it is not used too often to avoid disturbing and annoying members.
Use the tagging features only when necessary, and be mindful of people’s time and how they would feel. They will get tired and frustrated if they are tagged every day.
5. Don’t Always Rely on the @everyone Tag
You should know that there are other ways you can market your content without using the @everyone tag often. When you use the @everyone tag for your marketing this time, try the other ways next time. This way, you will not be relying only on the @everyone tag to market your content at all times.
How to Message a Group on Facebook
If you want to message a group on Facebook using your phone, ensure that you have the Facebook or Messenger app installed. Then follow the steps below:
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Tap on the messenger icon at the top right corner of your screen to select the group you want to message.
3. Type your message in the text box and hit send. That’s it. The group will receive your message.
If you are using your desktop or laptop computer for the message, follow the steps below:
1. Log in to your Facebook account from your browser.
2. Click on the messenger button at the top right corner of your window screen.
3. Find and click on the group you want to message from the drop-down chat window.
4. Lastly, input your message in the text box and click send.
Note that the message will be visible to all group members. You can mention specific people in your message to let them know it is mainly for them. You can do this by inserting “@” followed by their username.
The @everyone tag is a beneficial tool in promoting and marketing your brand or content. However, using this feature without caution can cause adverse effects and consequences.
Group administrators should only use this feature when it is necessary. They can use it when notifying members of something highly relevant to their reasons for joining the group or when sharing important content for which they can require cooperation or participation.
As a group admin, you must abstain from annoying members in the name of utilizing the @everyone tag. Making sure every member of your group is satisfied should be your priority.
If you need help engaging your members, here is an article about engagement posts. this also shows examples you can use right away! Click to learn how to have healthy engagement in your Facebook group.